Monday, August 27, 2018

Play Pom Pom letters

So it's been awhile...I'm not sure how that happened.  I guess I've been more into completing projects lately than blogging about them.  Plus I've had some big changes in my life as I'm transitioning from teaching full time to staying at home with my girls and starting my piano studio back up again.  But my intent behind starting this blog was to share my ideas to pay back for all of the great ideas that I get from other blogs.  So here I am again to finally blog about a couple of projects that I completed way back in May.

After I finished my makeover of my sewing room I figure that I better start on the family/play room since I would want the girls down there playing sometimes while I'm sewing.  I decided to paint the room the same color as the living room upstairs: Behr Silver Drop.  So I've been terrible about taking before pictures in this house but I have a few pretty awful ones for you.




The original wall color wasn't terrible but it wasn't my favorite either.  I also painted the trim because I prefer white trim to this dark stuff.  The rock wall is something that we want to remove of course but it will be quite sometime before that is high on the priority list to do.  So we live with it for now...
The lighting down here is terrible because it is a basement.  The wall color actually reads much lighter in person.  We were able to get the book ledges put up from Lyla's bedroom at our old house.  This also meant that I was finally able to finish unpacking all the boxes from our move since the only boxes left were the books from Lyla's room!
In this photo you can see the true color of the walls a little better.  The media console from our living room from our last house lives down here now and you can also read more about those stenciled storage boxes here.  We decided to put the benches from our porch at our last house on either side of the media console.  They are awesome for concealed toy storage in this room.  They also make great extra seating for reading books etc.
I decided to re-cover them with a black and cream ticking stripe fabric to make the bench a little more neutral since I wanted to go pretty colorful in the decor.  As you can see I am kind of picking random and fun pillows to go on the benches.  I don't quite have enough to fill both benches right now because I just buy them as I find one that stands out to me at a store.

For the decor I wanted to go with a fun kids theme and I wanted the colors to be rainbow.  You can see that I was taking these pictures while Lyla was watching her favorite show, Vampirina.  I can't wait to get started on her Halloween costume this year because she wants to be Vampirina and I have the perfect sewing patterns to make it happen!

I found some shadow boxes at Michaels online that came in a variety of colors.  I popped out the glass of each shadow box and moved the back to the fronts of the shadowbox so that I could pin the girl's artwork to them as a changeable gallery.  I found the crayon print and Picasso quote print on Etsy and just stuck them in my favorite white Target frames.  I made the rainbow ABC print myself on my Pixelmator software using the clipping mask tool.  The Jane Austen quote art is from our porch in our last house.

Now finally I will get to the tutorial part of this post: that Play pom pom sign.  I found lots of inspiration for this on Etsy and Pinterest but I knew that I could make my own.  I bought the largest paper mache letters at Hobby Lobby and found these wool felt pom poms at Oriental Trading.  I started by cutting off the fronts of each letter with an exacto knife and then I pushed that piece into the letter so that it was about halfway in.  Sorry I forgot to take a picture of this step.  I wanted the pom pom texture to be coming out of the letter.

Then I spray painted the letters white.
Then I glued in the pom poms with a hot glue gun, easy peasy!
The hardest part was actually hanging it on the wall.  I was going to use those command picture hanger strips but the wall was too bumpy and I couldn't get them to stick properly to stay up.  I ended up just nailing them to the wall.

I have a bonus project with this post because I also finished a little gallery wall above the piano in our living room as well.


The funny thing is that I actually just changed this up on Saturday so I'll share that with you at the end of this post.
This clock was a gift from my parents and this little music art piece next to it was from our porch at our old house.
I made this Sound of Music print with my Pixelmator software for my student teacher a few years ago. I of course printed an extra one for myself. It sat behind my desk in my classroom.  This is actually sitting on the piano now since I switched things around.
I bought this little piano player print on Etsy.
Finally, I saw piece of art like this in Hobby Lobby and decided I could make my own.  I found the framed wood piece at Hobby Lobby and used my Silhouette Portrait to cut the words and piano keys on vinyl.  I free handed the lines with a sharpie and I totally should of sketched them out first because a couple of them are pretty rough but I'm embracing the imperfections.

Here is what the wall looks like now.  I didn't edit this photo at all so it isn't the best.  My favorite fabric store in town is closing which is super sad.  They are selling everything in their story including the sample projects for kits that they sold.  I am not a quilter so when I saw this little sample for sale I was excited!  The background has subtle music notes quilted in.  It is so amazing and cute!  I'm not entirely satisfied with the layout of the thing in the gallery now, I'm thinking that I might swap the music plaque and the clock to balance it out better.  What do you think?

So I have so many posts that I can write next: my daughter's Moana 3rd birthday, tons of sewing projects, a little Ikea hack kids table, a dress up closet that I made out of a Target bookshelf from my classroom, and I am currently working on an update to our little mudroom.  And I totally forgot to take before pictures!  Hopefully it won't be as long this time before I post again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...